The “Civics and Community” program offers children a deeper understanding of American Government, World History, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Community engagement and civic (and civil) discourse through creative and fun experiences with opportunities to engage in the community at large with their projects.
Fall 2019 COURSE OUTLINE:
- An Introduction to ENTREPRENEURSHIP, FINANCIAL AWARENESS, and LOGIC
- Business Owners from the Community
- Financial Awareness
- Logic and Critical Thinking
William “Butch” Porter is a Louisiana native and graduate of Physics/Astronomy from Louisiana State University. He worked for a college marketing internship through a publishing company out of Nashville, TN, helping college students earn college credit and prepare themselves for leadership in the work world through marketing and communication skills in the sale of educational books for K-12 students. He continued his education by getting an MBA (Masters in Business Administration) from the University of South Carolina.
Butch is a 2008 graduate of Leadership Loudoun, former President of the Leesburg Downtown Business Association, held a four-year term on the Town of Leesburg Economic Development Commission, and is a long-time active member of the Loudoun County Chamber of Commerce. He lives in Leesburg, VA with his wife and two children.
ADDITIONAL COURSE DETAILS:
- Age Range: 9-15 (approx. 4th to 9th grade)
- Schedule: Every Tuesday from 2pm to 3:30pm, beginning Dec 3, 10, and 17; Jan 7, 14, 21, 28; Feb 4, 11, 18, 25 — 11 weeks.
- Supplies: All supplies will be provided as part of the course, but there could be a nominal fee for any field trips which involve admissions.
*IMPORTANT: Please provide as much information about your child as you can during checkout: name, age, interests, etc.