At IndED, we are reviving a spirit of curiosity and providing students the opportunity to explore and research topics of interest. In a world dominated by information, we seek wisdom and truth through valid sources and discussions.
In the Fall, we’ve learned to:
- Select appropriate resources and evaluate research materials for a research product.
- Evaluate sources and determine fact from opinion and determine which sources are authentic.
- Make connections with other students, other subjects, and real-world experiences in their writing.
In the Winter of 2018/2019, IndED students will develop good habits through:
- the exploration of different texts
- exposure to a variety of prewriting strategies
- journal writing
- using effective communication skills to deliver planned oral presentations (book talks)
- learning sentence formation and mechanics
- using descriptive vocabulary
- organizing information around a central idea
IndED uses a Project Management tool for all of our courses and Personalized Learning Plans (PLPs), and are excited to add a dedicated Language Arts-focused Learning Management system for managing, tracking, evaluating and growing through writing. We have a very limited number of spots, so please sign up as soon as possible.
Additional Course Details
- Age Range: 8-15(approx. 3rd to 9th grade)
- Schedule: Every Thursday from 11am to 12:30pm, starting Dec 6, ending Feb 26 (excluding Dec 27, Jan 3)
- Cost: $275
- Supplies: Your favorite thing to write with, a red composition notebook…library card, tablet/laptop (optional but recommended)
Kim Creigh is a Rhode Island native. She has her degree in Elementary Education and Psychology from the University of Rhode Island. She has taught elementary school in both Fairfax and Prince William counties. Kim has her Masters in Reading Education from the University of Virginia. She has always had a passion for teaching Language Arts. As a fourth grade teacher, she served on the Writing Committee and helped outline a writing program for the school. Kim has also been active on intervention committees, providing reading and writing resources for a range of abilities. She lives in Ashburn, VA with her husband and two boys.
Kim is the Mentor for our Writing and Language Arts Program, and the creator of “Creative Reading Adventures” a program for “cultivating a life-long passion for reading.”